Ask for a tax refund form in any shop where you make purchases and fill out the form in its entirety.
Note that, as with all imports, your purchases must be declared with customs.
Information and tips
A VAT refund may be applied for if
- you live in a non-EU country.
- you have no secondary residence within the EU, with the exception of territories regarded as non-EU countries for VAT purposes (e.g. the Canary Islands, Greenland, Lake Lugano and San Marino).
- your destination is outside the EU.
- the item costs more than €75.
If the items are in your baggage
1. go to a check-in counter where you will obtain your luggage receipt tags.
2. go with your baggage to customs (counters 195, 196 or 317, 318) and show the items being transported in your baggage.
3. have the customs officer stamp your tax refund form.
Your baggage will be handled directly by a customs officer.
4. redeem the tax refund form at a tax-free cash payment point - at a bank or currency exchange counter - in check-in 2 or in the transfer area.
If the items are in your hand luggage and you are travelling from one of the non-Schengen gates (D21 - D70, G01 - G99)
1. go through passport control.
2. show the items to the customs officer, who will stamp your tax refund form.
If you are travelling via an EU country (e.g. Vienna - Frankfurt - USA) the items carried in your hand luggage can be stamped only by the customs office in the last EU country you pass through (Frankfurt in the cited case).
3. redeem the tax refund form at a tax-free cash point - at a bank or currency exchange office - in the transfer area.
If the bank is closed post the tax refund form into the box at the transfer gate.
The amount will be refunded to you.